When a child starts at Abbots Bromley School all parents are automatically members of the Friends of Abbots Bromley School. The Friends of Abbots Bromley is the School’s equivalent of a Parent Teacher Association and as a group we have two main aims:
- To raise money for the school which can be spent on activities, equipment or support that enrich our children’s experience at the school.
- To help promote the school community by organizing social events to which a warm welcome is extended to parents, guardians, friends and children.
In order to achieve these aims, we meet as a committee 5 times a year and run events such as the School Ball. We also run raffles, the 50:50 Club, the Nearly New Shop and provide refreshments at school events such as the Dance Production and Sports Day. Every year the funds raised support projects around the school.
The Friends have contributed many items of equipment to the school over the years such as IT equipment, a mini bus trailer, sports equipment & audio-visual equipment. Financial support has been given for many enrichment activities and educational workshops.
The Friends regard themselves as providing some icing and sprinkles on the very substantial cake that the school offers! Every year the Friends also give a generous donation to the Bursaries Fund.
Being an active member of the Friends does not have to involve huge amounts of time and is both rewarding and fun. There are several ways in which parents help:
- By volunteering to become a member of the committee and attend meetings (no more than 5 per year) with ideas of how to raise funds and build on the current successes of the school community
- Bake cakes
- Help serve refreshments at school events such as Sports day, dance productions and school shows
- Donation of raffle prizes – Sports Day, Christmas and the ball
- Volunteer as a helper for the Nearly New Shop (as little as 2 hrs. per term - Full training given!)
- Help with organisation of specific events e.g. School Ball.
As well as the list of fundraisers above, the Friends have hosted other school social events throughout the school year - New Parents Welcome event, Mince pies and Mulled Wine at the Carols in the Round Service and assisting on open mornings. Other fun social events have included quiz nights, fashion shows, barn dances, and an Abba Night!
The 50:50 club run by the Friends contributes considerably to our funds. It is in effect a lottery with 3 draws per year, with an annual subscription of £20. Members are allocated a number which goes into each draw for a chance to win each time. 50% of the takings are returned as prize money and 50% kept towards the funds. The last draw had a first prize of £169 and last year saw a total of £850 given out in prizes.
The Nearly New Shop is one of the Friends' biggest fundraisers. The shop is situated in Coleridge House near to the main school entrance and has a large stock of used school uniform. There is a changing area within the shop and students are welcome to try things on. The shop is open most Fridays during term time from 4.05pm - 5.05pm and is staffed by parent volunteers. The stock is provided by you. We accept any articles of school uniform which are in good condition. This includes sportswear, dancewear, and equestrian wear which we then sell on. We also stock new school book bags and aprons. You can either donate your outgrown school items entirely or request that 50% of the resale price is returned to you; which we do twice yearly. It is a good place to ask fellow parents about the uniform if you have any queries. Items of merchandise are available and these make great gifts such as Abbots Bromley School logo teddies, golf umbrellas, picnic rugs, jute bags and mugs.